In this fast-going world, data privacy is the primary concern; we will discuss the details about cookies and how to delete cookies, cache, and history from your iPhone. But first, we need to know what cookies are and their different types. How do they work? Are they beneficial or harmful?
What are cookies?
It’s not a baked-sweet thing you ate as a dessert. We are talking about small data files. Whenever you visit a website, it downloads some small text files on your device. It helps websites to remember you when you visit the next time.
How do cookies work?
Cookies are small pieces such as username, password, or search history. When cookies are exchanged between a website and your server, it acts as an id code by which the website knows that you have visited before. It also aids websites to know what precisely to show you according to your last visit.
Types of cookies:
- Magic cookies; are small packets of information to store your username and password, so you don’t need to enter your password again and again. This type of cookie cannot be changed when sent and received.
- HTTP cookies; these cookies help to make your browsing experience better. This cookie enables the online shopping experience more smoothly, and website servers don’t get overloaded.
HTTP cookies are also of different types.
Session cookies; help navigate the website, and as the name indicates, these cookies are deleted soon after the session. Session cookies help the back button and third-party analyzer plugins to maintain the user’s privacy.
Read Also : How To Record A Phone Call On iPhone
Persistent cookies; remain on the device for the longest time, although they have an expiration date after they are automatically deleted. Websites use these cookies to see if they are logged in and remember their id password. Also, they have the data about how many times per user has visited and their preference on the website.
Are cookies useful?
- Management of session: because of the cookies, the website recognizes the person, it personalizes the feed according to the last visit. E.g., political versus sports news.
- Personalization: cookies attract the ads related to the person’s interest. Targeted ads are displayed on the website which the person will like.
Cookies can be dangerous:
Although cookies personalized the browsing experience, they can also be a threat. Cookies themselves are not harmful, and the website cannot transfer viruses through, but if hackers get access to cookies, they can quickly go through your browser and see all the data and history. So many people will instead enter the details repeatedly rather than getting spied on by hackers.
How to remove Cookies and history on iPhone:
There are various ways to clear up cache, cookies, and history for different apps.
To delete the cookies from the Safari app, follow these steps:
- Click on the settings app.
- Scroll, find and select ‘Safari‘.
- Select, advanced on the bottom of the page.
- Tap the website data on the advanced page, and now you can see different size cookies files. Now tap on remove all website data to remove all the files.
Removing history can save a lot of storage space on your iPhone. To remove history from Safari app, steps are given below:
- Go to the settings app.
- Find Safari and click on it.
- Now tap on clear all history and website data.
From Google Chrome:
To delete history and cookies for Google Chrome, you need to go to the app itself. The steps are below:
- Open the Google Chrome app.
- On the lower right, three horizontal lines represent the menu.
- Now select the settings and then tap the privacy option.
- Finally, select the clearing browsing data; in this, you can choose cookies, cache, history, whatever you want to delete, and then click the confirm option.
For deleting history and cookies, you need to go on its app just like Google chrome.
- Open the Firefox app.
- In the lower right corner, click on the menu.
- Now click on the settings and then data management.
- Now tap on clear private data and confirm it is ok.
Blocking cookies on iPhone:
You can also block cookies, so websites can’t download their files on your device. But blocking cookies can make the website misbehave, and browsing can become difficult. But some prefer to have a problematic browsing experience than to allow cookies. We are giving steps on how to block cookies on the Safari app on iPhone:
- Go on setting app
- Scroll and find Safari
- Turn on the option to block all the Cookies and then confirm it is ok.
Cookies are used to make your experience smooth and easy. But they can be dangerous, too. We have discussed how to remove the cookies from your device in this article, so you remove them without any hassle.